Sunday, August 14, 2011

Capital City Ribfest 2011





Location: 
Capital City Ribfest
Texas Rib Rangers BBQ

What was Ordered: 
1/2 rack ribs 
baked beans
potato salad

Dine-In/Carry Out/Delivery:
Dine-In

Time waiting for food:
1 hour (estimated but i'm sure its close)

Cost:
$4 to get in the gate $13 for plate of food $3 20oz bottle of pepsi 
Total $20

*I had a ticket so i could get in the gate for free. 
Also, if you came over lunch on the weekdays (when most people have to work) you could get in for free with a suggested donation of a can of food for the local food bank)

HungryHollys: 
XXX

Review:
I made the mistake of ordering a plate instead of just the meat. (Plate includes 2 sides) I watched the lady scoop out my potato salad from a cardboard sysco box. For those of you who don't know what sysco is, it is a wholesale food distributor. I am well aware many restaurants use them and provide great food, but at a street festival showcasing award winning BBQ, a person should expect home recipes not wholesale food. It was not good. I am a person who eats everything on her plate, or takes it home to eat it in an hour, but i threw the potato salad and the baked beans away! The beans are not even worth talking about. 

The main event... RIBS!!! Yummmy! Now don't get me wrong these were good, but i love any meat smoked or grilled and smothered in bbq sauce, so it's a no brainer that i should love them but love wasn't in the air. They were good. 

I tried both of their BBQ Sauces, one was labeled spicy and the other was an original. They were also good, not great, but good. They reminded me of KCs Masterpiece, which is also good. Do you see a theme here? Everything seems to be good, that's not usually a good sign. 

Overall: 

I <3 love <3 Ribfests of all kinds. It is a little disappointing that our local Ribfest charges a cover and then the venders charge and arm and a leg for the food. I will go back again next year i am sure, but i will not go back to Texas Rib Rangers BBQ. And a word to all the venders at events like this, PLEASE please please only serve your own original food. 

4 comments:

  1. This is exactly why I don't go anymore! I think you were a little too nice...prolly deserved 2 dancing Holly's! Good review though...couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have gone in the past and won't waste my money there ever again. There is also a scam called the ethnic festival if you liked ribfest you're gonna love this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since we found a couple free passes, we went for the first time on Saturday. I'm not a huge meat fan, but the 1/4 chicken from Porky & Beans was so tender that I could pull it apart with only a plastic fork. Impressive! I was not impressed when I saw several cases of Bush's baked beans in the back near where they were prepping the meat. Seriously guys? Make your own beans when it's part of your NAME.

    The BEST part of Ribfest, for me, was dessert. I had a fried peach on a stick with cinnamon sugar. I give it 5 Munching Marcias!

    ReplyDelete